Wild salvia pictures from mexico.. Return To Archives | Search

Please Visit Our New Forums at Mycotopia
Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive Archive Botanicals Wild salvia pictures from mexico.. Previous Next

Topic Author Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through July 01, 2004Hidra (Hidra303)Hidra (Hidra303)25 1 07-01-04  06:13 pm
Archive through July 14, 2004Steiny (DemonichunteHidra (Hidra303)25 1 07-14-04  03:07 am

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

Erebus (Debremus)
Username: Debremus

Post Number: 849
Posted on Wednesday, July 14, 2004 - 04:49 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cell structure

Sinful Evolution (Sinful)
Username: Sinful

Post Number: 7
Posted on Wednesday, July 14, 2004 - 11:45 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Still not looking close, see the flowering salvia...it has a purple stem.
Now the pic you have.....green stem.
Stems do not revert to green after, they die down to the node below the base.
Other species however retain a green stem.

(Message edited by sinful on July 14, 2004)

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 23103
Posted on Wednesday, July 14, 2004 - 10:30 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I dont have a microscope..

but what do you mean exactly?

the structure of the leaves?

everything should match,
leaf structure,
flower structure,
spacing of internodes,
etc.

Namaste

Butterfly (Mush1964)
Username: Mush1964

Post Number: 38
Posted on Wednesday, July 14, 2004 - 10:35 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sinful and Hippie, your right. The flower stem is purple, but Salvia Divinorum does have stems that look exactly like hidras picture, but obviously not the flower stem. There is something else that doesn't look right hidras stem looks jointed, unless that's insect damage.

(Message edited by mush1964 on July 14, 2004)
Life is just one long beautiful flight!

Hidra (Hidra303)
Username: Hidra303

Post Number: 1190
Posted on Wednesday, July 14, 2004 - 10:45 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the stem looked like this

Upload

Butterfly (Mush1964)

Post Number: 40
Posted on Wednesday, July 14, 2004 - 11:01 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Opps sorry hidra I just went out side and looked at my plant, the stems are jointed at the nodes.

Hidra (Hidra303)

Post Number: 1191
Posted on Wednesday, July 14, 2004 - 11:02 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

:-)

Butterfly (Mush1964)

Post Number: 41
Posted on Wednesday, July 14, 2004 - 11:09 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here are pictures of mine, hay wait a minute, something ate the leaves off mine! LOL!
Upload
Upload
Upload
I hope yours is Salvia D. That is one huge plant! how tall was it?

Hidra (Hidra303)

Post Number: 1192
Posted on Wednesday, July 14, 2004 - 11:15 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

it was maybe 5-6 feet...

they only reason I hope they are salvia D. is to have my own "salvia" from mexico..
I would be kinda proud of it...

because I already have a lot of real salvia plants here..

Erebus (Debremus)
Username: Debremus

Post Number: 852
Posted on Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 05:26 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why didn't you just try some leaves off of the plant you found in mexico?

Hidra (Hidra303)

Post Number: 1194
Posted on Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 12:21 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

because I am not very experienced with taking salvia..

I am growing since a while..but I havent consumed it a lot of time..

and I was a little bit uncomfortable there...
I was not in my country, I was with my gf..(who is totally not into these kind of thing)..

and I was really far from where I was sleeping..

for all these reasons...I decided I didnt want try it there...

Hidra (Hidra303)

Post Number: 1297
Posted on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 12:34 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ok...the seedling look like this now...

Upload

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 26015
Posted on Thursday, September 16, 2004 - 07:00 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

updates ?

Namaste

Hidra (Hidra303)

Post Number: 1614
Posted on Thursday, September 16, 2004 - 07:04 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

they are all deads...

I cant seems to be able keep them alive...

but I will start more seeds soon...

I have to...

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 26020
Posted on Thursday, September 16, 2004 - 07:18 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hmm,
maybe you really do have sally
as it's rumored to have lost
it's ability to grow from seed

Namaste

Hidra (Hidra303)

Post Number: 1618
Posted on Thursday, September 16, 2004 - 07:20 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

if the seed are able to germinate...

and to grow their first set of leaves..(like they did)

they should able to gro to full sized plants if the conditions are right ...imo...

just need to find those conditions...

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 26025
Posted on Thursday, September 16, 2004 - 07:32 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

sounds logical
but logic does not
always correlate with reality

Namaste

Natureboy (Natureboy)
Username: Natureboy

Post Number: 15
Posted on Thursday, September 16, 2004 - 07:42 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry Hidra, as far as I can tell this is Cissus quadrangulata, or possibly a related species. I used to own one and this pick looks a lot like it. Though I admit I am by no stretch a botanist the pick you sent in doesn't match my search image of salvia. Can you get close ups of the terminal bud??? Check out this link and hopefully the attached photo from this link. http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.plantoftheweek.org/image/cissusq.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.plantoftheweek.org/week246.shtml&h=480&w=360&sz=23&tbnid=RnC-HWWacqwJ:&tbnh=125&tbnw=94&start=2&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dcissus%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26sa%3DGUpload If anyone has any thoughts on this not being a cissus or what it might be I love to learn new things. Peace Natureboy
My reality is my way to bring peace and beauty to all living things I cross paths with.

Natureboy (Natureboy)
Username: Natureboy

Post Number: 16
Posted on Thursday, September 16, 2004 - 07:51 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also as far as trying a few of the leaves out, that is never a smart idea unless you have a possitive I.D. I recently made friends with a biochemist from france who has a personal and profesional interest in plant "toxins" and he has made me aware of some crazt plant poisons that are very common and may not be easy to detect. Please be careful. Also, no offense to Hip but I believe the seed of salvia is notoriosly hard to germ, there is a difference because a plant that is difficult to grow from seed simply means that you can have a high or low germ rate, but a high mortality, such as paganum, which needs very specific conditions to prevent its damping off. While salvia seldom produces viable seed, which means that the seedling may or may not be easy to grow, most salvias are easy to grow, but here the problem is that the seed never germ because they aren't viable. If this is confusing or if someone can explain it differently please do, I certainly don't want to step on any toes here, you all seem wonderful. Peace Natureboy
My reality is my way to bring peace and beauty to all living things I cross paths with.

Hidra (Hidra303)

Post Number: 1619
Posted on Thursday, September 16, 2004 - 07:54 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

they really didnt look like the plants you pictured above..

look at the shape of your leaves...

and look at the shape of those leaves:

Upload
Upload

Hidra (Hidra303)

Post Number: 1620
Posted on Thursday, September 16, 2004 - 07:55 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

and btw..

like I said before..

I have no clue if this is salvia or not..

the only way to know..is to grow these seeds...
wich im trying to since in back from mexico...

Rio (Rio)
Username: Rio

Post Number: 19
Posted on Friday, September 17, 2004 - 01:57 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hidra, have you tried growing them indoors yet? Maybe you could start the seeds in sterilized soil, and keep them in a humidity tent, at about 23.8 degrees Celsius. I bet they would thrive in those conditions!
Just an idea, I hope you succeed!

Hidra (Hidra303)

Post Number: 1624
Posted on Friday, September 17, 2004 - 04:26 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

im growing everything indoor

Thoth (Dr_hyde)
Advanced Member
Username: Dr_hyde

Post Number: 88
Posted on Friday, September 17, 2004 - 04:43 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That plant looks interesting, but it does not look like a Salvia. The habitat looks wrong also. These where taken in the State of Oaxaca. Oaxaca is a very wet foggy place with a temp between 60 and 80 year round.

Upload
Upload
Upload
Conventional thinking is the ruin of our souls,
something borrowed which we mistake as our own.
Ignorance is better than this; clutch at madness instead.

Sinful Evolution (Sinful)
Username: Sinful

Post Number: 16
Posted on Friday, September 17, 2004 - 10:30 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It looks exactially like a salvia species, just not alot like salvia d. could be a new one even.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: