A few Questions about growing poppies... Return To Archives | Search

Please Visit Our New Forums at Mycotopia
Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive Archive Botanicals A few Questions about growing poppies at home?? Previous Next

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page
Topic Author Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

two cents (2cents)
Posted on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 10:31 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What type of poppy varity would be idea to grow at home in the backyard?I have come across 4 different kinds of poppy to grow.The first type is from the herb rack at the supermarket very small blue seeds.The second type is the california poppy its calafonia state flower.The third is the oriental poppy it has small dark seeds.The fourth is the iceland poppy it has small brownish color seeds.Erowid has pics of these poppys.Do these types of poppy produce opium?

PHAID (Phaid)
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 05:38 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am not sure but i think only one species of the poppy produces the opium and it cant be grown in the USA.
its classed basicly the same as growing weed in your backyard.

two cents (2cents)
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 05:49 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That may be true but I have read articles of folks buying seeds at the supermarket and growing opium poppies from them.Do an internet search and see what I mean one story was about a guy who bought seeds at a safeway supermarket and planted them to his surprise they grew poppies.Two ISU students recently got arrested growing opium poppies in their apartment where did they get the seeds?I think it is very possible to buy seeds that will grow opium poppies in the US my ? is where?

two cents (2cents)
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 05:53 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

just found another story about a kid who got arrested for growing a bunch of oriental poppys.If these do not produce opium why are folks getting arrested for growing them?I think it may be legal to grow them but illegal to process them into opium or herion.

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 05:59 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

correct.
it's all about intent.
you can easily grow opium poppies in the usa,
i've done so, it's not hard, they grow like weeds.
but it is illegal to milk them or extract the drug in any manner. they are just for looking at,
not consumption.

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 06:03 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

also see http://archives.mycotopia.net/discus/messages/5/16962.html for some pix of real poppies and the ones that won't get you off that you'll want to avoid.

two cents (2cents)
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 06:47 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the link.From what I saw oriental poppies do not contain opium.Does that mean the iceland poppies,california poppies and supermarket herb section popppies produce opium?What seeds (names) of poppies produce opium?Where can I find these seeds?Can't I find them at the supermarket or flower shop?

PHAID (Phaid)
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 07:16 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanks for the input Hippie.
i wasnt sure of the facts on the poppies

Soliver (Soliver)
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 10:45 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All supermarket seeds are somniferum, aka opium
poppy seeds. Icelandics are great 'cause there's no
legal obscurity (100% legal) and they have a high
codeine content - a mellower buzz than straight up
opium poppies, IMO.

Orientals - well, it depends. Sometimes "orientals"
are papaver somniferum packaged as other - othertimes it's
actually a different strain. Overall, avoid them.

Seeds from the store are great, or if you're
over 18, I'd be happy to send you some seeds
gratis... I have plenty.

Hope this helps,

Soliver

two cents (2cents)
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2003 - 07:51 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the info.What about the california poppy?Does the california poppy produce opium?From what I have read here and there the california poppy has been used to help folks with toothachs and is given to chidren in england with hyperactivity in one form or another to help calm them down.There is also a $500$ dollar fine if caught picking the california poppy in california.Is there a web site that has a list of all the different types of poppy with a little information about each one's history,use,facts for both opium poppy and non-opium poppy?

Soliver (Soliver)
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2003 - 08:01 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

California poppies are useless for our purposes,
but look nice in the yard.

www.poppies.org

Picking is fined 'cause it's the state flower &
they don't want everyone picking 'em from the
roadside, etc. Hear what you may, they are not
useful as an entheogen, etc.

Sol

two cents (2cents)
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2003 - 04:28 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How bout the Shirley Poppy? I saw this seed in the garden section at a store on the package it says "showy doubles" and has picture of red & pink flowers with yellow buttons in the middle of the flower.The package also says its an annual.Poppies such as the iceland poppy are perennials.On the link hip posted it identifies poppy plants with the yellow buttons in the pics posted as opium poppies.Does this mean the shirly poppy I mentioned is in fact an opium producing poppy?

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2003 - 08:25 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

check the latin name ,
it must be papaver somniferum.

Quote:

The opium poppy, Papaver somniferum, is an annual plant. From a very small round seed, it grows, flowers, and bears fruit (seed pods) only once. The entire growth cycle for most varieties of this plant takes about 120 days. The seeds of P. somniferum can be distinguished from other species by the appearance of a fine secondary fishnet reticulation within the spaces of the coarse reticulation found all over their surface. When compared with other Papaver species, P. somniferum plants will have their leaves arranged along the stem of the plant, rather than basal leaves, and the leaves and stem will be 'glabrous' (hairless). Opium is the name for the latex produced within the seed pods of the opium poppy, Papaver somniferum.

Mjshroomer (Mjshroomer)
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2003 - 08:31 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Poppy seeds (Papaver somniferam) can be purchased in two pound cans as 'dutch blue' form any american Bar and Restaurant Supplies. Say you want them for poppy seed buns for a church bake.

I also have a book I wrote on Opium Poppy Cultivation it is completely online at http://www.erowid.org

Someone above ask the question can these be grown at home.

The answer is yes, outdoors. However in order to produce good landanum one must plat the po[ppies at higher elevations of four thousand feet to produce potent crops of O. At sea level they ae rather gummy and runny.

two cents (2cents)
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2003 - 09:29 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know the opium poppy is Papaver somniferam however, some garden seed companys do not list exact names of the seed they do give a general name such as "shirley poppy" but when I read "double mixed colors" on the package it gets confusing.Its poppy seeds in the package but how can one go beyond the general name such as "sherly poppy" to identify what the seed(s)are?
No where on the package does it say Papaver somniferam or any other poppy name.All the poppy seed packages opium or not do not have the plant name on the package just the general name such as "iceland poppy" it is an iceland poppy but thats not its real plant name.How can I identify these seeds/plants?

Here is what I've got to work with:
A pack of annual "double mixed colors" shirley poppy seeds.On the back it reads Double Mixed Colors SHIRLEY POPPY.It then gives a plant description.A stamp that reads "PACKED FOR 2003 LOT 4 SEED ORIGIN HOLLAND" can be found on the bottom.Shirley poppy is the only name found on the package.The picture on the package seems to be the best bet for identifying these seeds.The picture shows a snapshot of the real plant it has red, pink & punkin/reddish/orageish colored flowers.The center of the flower is yellow with yellow sprouts surounding the button in the middle.It looks like the pictures in the link hip posted.Its a tough call on this one how can I find the name of this poppy doe a.k.a shirley poppy?

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2003 - 11:10 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

pretty simple.
just pull up a search engine [i used msnbc],
type in 'shirley poppy'
and one quickly finds this info

Quote:

Corn Poppy/Shirley Poppy
Papaver rhoeas (Papaveraceae)
A hardy annual native to Europe, but has been naturalized throughout the United States. The large 3-4 inch blooms range in shades from white and pink, to red and are individually borne on erect hairy stems. The foliage remains inconspicuous allowing the flower to express its full beauty. Prefers well-drained soil in full sun to partial shade. Performs best if sown in late fall in the southern regions of the U.S. or in early spring in the northern regions of the U.S.

Average planting success with this species: 80%
Height: 2-2 1/2 feet
Germination: 10-30 days
Optimum soil temperature for germination: 60-70F
Sowing depth: Surface Sow
Blooming period: March-July
Average seeds per pound: 3,200,000
Seeding rate: 2 lbs. per acre
Suggested use: Flower gardens, roadsides, meadows, mixtures, cut flowers.
Miscellaneous: Not enough can be said about this all time gardening favorite. The seed pods are attractive for dry floral arrangements. Can be seen from great distances, guaranteed to make the neighbors jealous.

so it's not an opium poppy. sorry.

Mjshroomer (Mjshroomer)
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2003 - 02:57 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi here is a picture of Demeter holding both poppies and rye (opiates and lysergic acid amides)

poppiesryedemeter1

mjshroomer

reshroomED (Reshroomed)
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2003 - 08:40 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Check where the bulk culinary poppy seed comes from, and if it's from Tasmania, Australia you'll find it has a very low yield. They had a divergent sub-species in the pharmaceutical farms that produced poorly and this strain is used for culinary purposes.
ed

two cents (2cents)
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2003 - 07:52 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

-"Icelandics are great 'cause there's no
legal obscurity (100% legal) and they have a high
codeine content - a mellower buzz than straight up
opium poppies, IMO. "-

Where did you find this information???I cant find it.I saw some yellow Iceland poppy seeds do these icelands have the high codene content they have yellowish seed pods??

two cents (2cents)
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2003 - 07:55 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the seeds are brown the flower is yellow

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2003 - 08:59 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

soliver,
and 2cents-
according to this page-
http://www.hortiplex.com/plants/p1/gw1028364.html
icelandic poppies aren't the right stuff,
wrong species.
can you document your codeine content statement ?

Soliver (Soliver)
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2003 - 05:12 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hell, Hip...

I read it in a naturopath book eons ago, bought some from a gal that grew her own for her flower shop in the Mnts. of Colorado. She gave me some seeds, which I planted. The flowers were yellow, the pods small, unlike any somni I've ever seen or grown, and yes, the codeine content is high. The best documentation I can provide is my own experience and wicked addiction to codeine. I can tell between codeine and morphine (if I recall, Hip, your gut tells you the same?) so while I don't really feel the need to dig up random links, I am more than willing to send opium poppy seeds to anyone who wants 'em, fuck the icelandics--They're just a personal favorite - I can grow 'em right on the front porch and make tea from them right in front of a cop w/o any worries, and that link you provided will back me up. They're useless for actual opium - pods are just too small.

My iceland seeds are dark brown, maybe black if I look close enough.

The opium seeds are blue to purple / black and I have a ton of 'em.

Speaking of, Hip, I recall sending you some of these very seeds last year... how does your garden grow?

Anyone wants some opium poppy seeds, drop me a mail at soliver at ziplip.com No worries about a trade, just remember ol' Sol, 'cause I'm sure I'll come crawlin' up to the mycotopian porch someday myself, lips cracked and looking for a handout . . .

Soliver

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: