Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive Archive Botanicals Datura Metel. Previous Next

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page
Topic Author Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

Erebus (Debremus)
Username: Debremus

Post Number: 528
Posted on Sunday, October 26, 2003 - 02:58 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Upload
A few weeks old under 250w HPS. Belle Blanche Variety.

I bought a datura from a local plant nursery, which bloomed all through summer and produced seeds towards the end of the season. I wanted to try out my HPS so I decided to continue the lifeline of my datura.

I found out how incredibly hardy these plants are. 3 of the 3 seeds I planted, in potting soil, sprouted and became 3 different sized plants. One dominated so I pulled the others out by the roots. I left them sitting on a shelf for a day or two and I assumed they were dead. One I put into soil, seems to be coming back to life and the other I simply put in a glass of water; she is coming back to life too.

I don't plan on induling myself in her, as I have read about entirely too many trips to the hospital. I doubt this would be the case with me, but you never know. I respect Datura for her beauty and mystical intrigue. Her mother is still alive and well, and will be around when her daughter starts to bloom.

They do have a somewhat rancid odor, smelling weakly like mold or mildew. It's not my plant, but the natural dank smell of the plant. It's a good thing there aren't poisonous oils and such, as I can't resist smelling her everyone now and then . When her mother produce flowers, they were very pleasent smelling. Not at all what I expected from the moldy smelling leaves. It is a sweet smell, and you can't help but smell every bloom before it inevitably falls off within a day or two.

One plant produces many, many seeds which are brown, flatish and round. Seed capsules are large and very spiny, taking several weeks to ripen. Once the seeds inside are ready, the capsule splits. It is often a surprise because it happens I believe within a few hours or less.

I highly recommend this plant to anyone with an interest in gardening, botany, etc. However, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone with low will power or with little children. It's too bad this plant is extremely toxic, because she is very beautiful.

I'm going to try to get a better picture.

(Message edited by debremus on October 26, 2003)

Erebus (Debremus)

Post Number: 529
Posted on Sunday, October 26, 2003 - 03:07 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, this digital camera is useless for any detailed pictures so here's another angle.

Upload

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 7379
Posted on Sunday, October 26, 2003 - 03:19 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

nice posts,
they are pretty plants, albeit quite deadly.
http://archives.mycotopia.net/discus/messages/1/29852.gif

harry m stevens (Rockawayrooms)
Username: Rockawayrooms

Post Number: 216
Posted on Sunday, October 26, 2003 - 03:58 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

good to hear from ya erebus,hope all is well!!
mellow is a word that always leaves ya guessin,the guess that bothers me ya really ought to know::robert plant

Erebus (Debremus)

Post Number: 530
Posted on Monday, October 27, 2003 - 08:12 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Things are going semi-well. I am still battling with some mental/emotional problems (I'm not sure which it is), but nothing serious. I have applied for further education and currently awaiting to hear back from them. This is fairly stressful of course, not knowing if I get in or not.

For now I work and try to have some responsibility by taking care of my legal plant collection and my 3 small fish in a 30 gallon tank.
I had more fish, but they slowly died off and now only 2 are left. An algae eater was just added and he is growing nicely. I don't understand why the other fish died though, because it has sufficient filtration and the water is constantly moving. Should be clean. If anyone knows anything about fish tanks, I would appreciate some input.

harry m stevens (Rockawayrooms)
Username: Rockawayrooms

Post Number: 228
Posted on Monday, October 27, 2003 - 10:50 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

glad to hear that youre doing ok erebus,hope ya get to continue your edgee.i have three tanks one with a few pirhanas he he!! anyway what you might be experiencing is to high of a ammonia content.alot of times that shit just creeps in and you wont even know it,by the time you see your fish struggling its usually too late. ammonia is caused by waste and excessive feedings,theres some stuff you can buy its called ammo chips.i keep that in my filtration system,change every 2 mos or so and youll eradicate it.also take a water sample to your pet store and have the dude test it,he should tell you everything your tank needs if there are any.hope this helps
mellow is a word that always leaves ya guessin,the guess that bothers me ya really ought to know::robert plant

Erebus (Debremus)

Post Number: 649
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2003 - 07:44 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Upload

Hidra303 (Hidra303)
Intermediate Member
Username: Hidra303

Post Number: 56
Posted on Wednesday, November 26, 2003 - 04:31 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

here is mine ..2-3 week after flowering...seed's pod starting to show up :-)

Upload

Erebus (Debremus)

Post Number: 650
Posted on Wednesday, November 26, 2003 - 04:39 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

that looks exactly like mine, is it belle blanche variety?

Hidra303 (Hidra303)
Intermediate Member
Username: Hidra303

Post Number: 57
Posted on Wednesday, November 26, 2003 - 10:23 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I dunno about the real name

but it make nice white flower!

peace

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 8170
Posted on Sunday, November 30, 2003 - 03:41 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

archive material
nice pix, y'all.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: