Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive Archive Botanicals Ergot fungus Previous Next

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page
Topic Author Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

Joseph (Frogs)
Username: Frogs

Post Number: 37
Posted on Thursday, November 20, 2003 - 12:40 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hey, i havent been on here in a long time cause i thought it was shut down or somethin, i guess not huh, lol. but anyway i've been studying up on the creation of LSD and i understand that a good source of it comes from ergot fungus(claviceps purpurea) and from what i've read its all over the world, but i have never come across or noticed it here in Pennsylvania anywhere, im dieing ta get some, anyone know where i should start lookin?}

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 7840
Posted on Thursday, November 20, 2003 - 06:10 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

if you do get some,
you proly will end up dying.
it's very very toxic, causes gangrene,
and is nothing to play with,
even for trained biologists in well equiped labs.
better find another way, friend,
if you want to keep all your fingers.
http://archives.mycotopia.net/discus/messages/1/29852.gif

ridder (Ridder)
Username: Ridder

Post Number: 596
Posted on Thursday, November 20, 2003 - 07:30 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

and if you DO lose your fingers you won't be posting again for a long time :-)

Joe Millionaire (Rotterdam_y2k)
Username: Rotterdam_y2k

Post Number: 311
Posted on Thursday, November 20, 2003 - 08:26 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hmmmmm... Making LSD must be HARD. No wonder folks are getting 80 Benjamins a gram. I'd want some money if I were messing with gangrenous material... God bless em!
"Ekam Sat Vipras Bahudda Vidante"
The One Truth is named by the wise in many ways.

Martaxus (Martaxus)
Advanced Member
Username: Martaxus

Post Number: 95
Posted on Thursday, November 20, 2003 - 09:12 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are there any safe ways for a mad scientist to make their own? I've a FOAF who has asked me to help him in this. At the moment the most help I could give is glovebox & sterile technique instructions.

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 7844
Posted on Thursday, November 20, 2003 - 10:46 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are there any safe ways for a mad scientist to make their own?
no, one would need to at least be a B.S. or better in organic chemistry, as well as having access to a pretty damn good lab.
i hear much is made on college campuses, as one can get access to such a lab as a student.
so enroll in college and major in organic chemistry if you are serious.
that's step 1.

Post Number: 316
Posted on Thursday, November 20, 2003 - 11:09 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Step II. Get your masters degree then your doctorate. It'll pay for itself in just a few months...

mycos eleusis (Exshroomer)
Username: Exshroomer

Post Number: 327
Posted on Thursday, November 20, 2003 - 11:31 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm thinking about studying that myself, what's the highest level of Math needed for that? It sure as hell isn't one of my academic strong points!
"Bake them Donuts with extra grease;
This batch is for the chief of Police!"

Unknown

I_am_me (I_am_me)
Username: I_am_me

Post Number: 140
Posted on Thursday, November 20, 2003 - 11:36 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm pretty sure that the problem is getting all of the proper chemicals. The process itself isn't THAT difficult....but does involve a couple of dangerous chemicals and also one step in which the chemicals you are dealing with have to get heated very close to their ignition point.
Microscopes are my hobby. I do not cultivate anything.

Mod (Maliki)
Username: Maliki

Post Number: 28
Posted on Thursday, November 20, 2003 - 11:59 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ive got a good write up on ill post later tonight.
When we share we all learn :-)

Imok Urok2 (Imok)
Username: Imok

Post Number: 503
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2003 - 12:15 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Maliki, good to hear from you
Hope this helps :-)

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 7855
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2003 - 12:28 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The process itself isn't THAT difficult
easy to say,
but have YOU ever done it ?

Mod (Maliki)

Post Number: 29
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2003 - 12:43 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Since Hofmann's first trip in 1943, great deal of interest has been generated in the occurrence and properties of various lysergic acid derivatives. Fungi of the genus Claviceps, which grow on rye wheat, rice and other grasses, were the first natural source of these alkaloids to be discovered. In recent years related compounds have been found in the genera Penicillium (the blue-green mold that also produces penicillin), Aspergillus, and Rhizobus (the black bread mold). These compounds are now produced commercially by culturing certain strains of Clavicebs which produce as much as 4 g of ergotamine per Liter of culture medium. Growing pure cultures of fungi is not for amateurs, but those interested will find these references useful: JPS 58,143(1969); App. Microbiol. 18,464 (1969); HCA 47,1052(1964); Lloydia 32,327,401(1969); Can. J. Microbiol. 16,923(1970); CA 61,15314c-f, 67,84858e, 69, 36323w; Biotech. Bioeng. 13,331(1971); CA 76,57736(1972); U.S. Patent 3,483,086; Planta Med. 23,330(1973); J. Pharm. Educ. 36,598(1972); CA 78,41492(1973); French Patent 1,531, 205; German Patents 1,806,984 and 1,909,216; British Patent 1,158,380. For a description of a wild American Claviceps species see Mycologia 66,978(1974).

The occurrence of hallucinogens in the seeds (and to a lesser degree in the leaves and stems) of various members of the family Convolvulaceae (morning glories, etc.) was known to the Aztecs. Seeds of the genera Rivea, Impomoea, and Argyria (Hawaiian baby woodrose) contain lysergic acid derivatives; the woodrose being champion with about one hundred times as much as the other genera (about 7 mg alkaloids/g seeds). In view of the low yield (maximum 10 mg alkaloids/ 100 g seeds) even the famed pearly gates variety of morning glory is not worthwhile extracting, and the trip is commonly a bummer, resembling that produced by scopolamine or ibogaline and unlike that of LSD. However, the lysergic acid amide, etc., can be extracted, hydrolyzed to lysergic acid (as described below for ergot alkaloid hydrolysis), and converted to LSD by any of the methods described. For species variation of alkaloid content see Lloydia 29,35(1966). Crude ergot or woodrose seeds should yield ca. 1 g LSD/kg after conversion of the isolated alkaloids.

The Culture and Extraction of Ergot Alkaloids
Make up a culture medium by combining the following ingredients in about 500 milliliters of distilled water in a 2 liter, small-neck flask:

Sucrose..........................100 grams
Chick pea meal...................50 grams
Calcium nitrate..................1 gram
Moriopotassium phosphate.........0.25 grams
Magnesium sulphate...............0.25 grams
Potassium chloride...............0.125 grams
Ferrous sulphate heptahydrate....8.34 milligrams
Zinc sulphate heptahydrate.......3.44 milligrams

Add water to make up one liter, adjust to pH 4 with ammonia solution and citric acid. Sterilize by autoclaving. Inoculate the sterilized medium with Claviceps purpurea under sterile conditions, stopper with sterilized cotton and incubate for two weeks periodically testing and maintaining pH 4. After two weeks a surface culture will be seen on the medium. Large-scale production of the fungus can now begin. Obtain several ordinary 1 gallon jugs. Place a two-hole stopper in the necks of the jugs. Fit a short (6 inch) glass tube in one hole, leaving 2 inches above the stopper. Fit a short rubber tube to this. Fill a small (500 milliliter) Erlenmeyer flask with a dilute solution of sodium hypochlorite, and extend a glass tube from the rubber tube so the end is immersed in the hypochlorite. Fit a long, glass tube in the other stopper hole. It must reach near the bottom of the jug and have about two inches showing above the stopper. Attach a rubber tube to the glass tube as short or as long as desired, and fit a short glass tube to the end of the rubber tube. Fill a large, glass tube (1 inch x 6 inches) with sterile cotton and fit 1-hole stoppers in the ends. Fit the small, glass tube in end of the rubber tube into 1 stopper of the large tube. Fit another small glass tube in the other stopper. A rubber tube is connected to this and attached to a small air pump obtained from a tropical fish supply store. You now have a set-up for pumping air from the pump, through the cotton filter, down the long glass tube in the jug, through the solution to the air space in the top of the jug, through the short glass tube, down to the bottom of the Erlenmeyer flask and up through the sodium hypochlorite solution into the atmosphere. With this aeration equipment you can assure a supply of clean air to the Clauiceps purpurea fungus while maintaining a sterile atmosphere inside the solution. Dismantle the aerators. Place all the glass tubes, rubber tubes, stoppers and cotton in a paper bag, seal tight with wire staples and sterilize in an autoclave. Fill the 1-gallon jugs 2/3 to 3/4 full with the culture medium and autoclave. While these things are being sterilized, homogenize in a blender the culture already obtained and use it to inoculate the media in the gallon jugs. The blender must be sterile. Everything must be sterile. Assemble the aerators. Start the pumps. A slow bubbling in each jug will provide enough oxygen to the cultures. A single pump can, of course, be connected to several filters. Let everything sit at room temperature (25C.) in a fairly dark place (never expose ergot alkaloids to bright light -- they decompose) for a period of ten days. After ten days adjust the cultures to 1% ethanol using 95% ethanol under sterile conditions. Maintain growth for another two weeks. After a total of 24 days growth period the culture should be considered mature. Make the culture acidic with tartaric acid and homogenize in a blender for one hour. Adjust to pH 9 with ammonium hydroxide and extract with benzene or chloroform/iso-butanol mixture. Extract again with alcoholic tartaric acid and evaporate in a vacuum to dryness. The dry material is the salt (i.e., the tartaric acid salt, the tartrate) of the ergot alkaloids, and is stored in this form because the free basic material is too unstable and decomposes readily in the presence of light, heat, moisture and air. To recover the free base for extraction of the amide or synthesis to LSD, make the tartrate basic with ammonia to pH 9, extract with chloroform and evaporate in vacuo. If no source of pure Claviceps purpurea fungus can be found, it may be necessary to make a field trip to obtain the ergot growths from rye or other cereal grasses. Rye grass is by far the best choice. The ergot will appear as a blackish growth on the tops of the rye where the seeds are. They are approximately the same shape as the seeds and are referred to as "heads of ergot." From these heads of ergot sprout the Claviceps purpurea fungi. They have long stems with bulbous heads when seen under a strong glass or microscope. It is these that must be removed from the ergot, free from contamination, and used to inoculate the culture media. The need for absolute sterility cannot be overstressed. Consult any elementary text on bacteriology for the correct equipment and procedures. Avoid prolonged contact with ergot compounds, as they are poisonous and can be fatal.

LSD Synthesis
Dangers
There are certain aspects of LSD production which are common to all synthetic methods. The first is a certain degree of danger; each uses dangerous reagents and solvents. Hydrazine and hydrazine hydrate are both violent poisons, and each can cause severe skin burns and eye damage. The vapor of each is irritating, and can cause severe eye irritation as well as liver and blood damage, but the symptoms don't always manifest right away, sometimes appearing three or four days after exposure, so it is easy for exposure to be much more dangerous than is immediately realized. In addition, anhydrous hydrazine is a sensitive and violent explosive, the explosion of which can be set off by certain types of stainless steel and such common things as wood and rust. Both trifluoroacetic acid and sulfur trioxide will cause very severe skin burns, and their vapors are extremely irritating. Sulfur trioxide is such a strong dehydrating agent that it chars organic material, and its heat of dehydration is so high that it will start a fire if spilled on wood, which could prove fatal were flammable solvents in use at the time or stored nearby. Phosgene is very poisonous; so insidious that it was used as a war gas in World War I. One deep breath can cause immediate collapse and death, and as it is not irritating there is no gag reflex to prevent one from taking that deep breath. Doses which are not high enough to be immediately lethal may not be noticed at all at the time of exposure, yet lead to death within 24 hours. Sub-lethal doses cause pulmonary edema and serious respiratory disability; again, the symptoms can appear well after an exposure which was hardly noticed. Diethylamine, used in every LSD synthesis, has a very low flash point, and its vapor is irritating. The vapor of DMF is also irritating, and prolonged exposure can cause liver damage. In fact, most of the solvents used in LSD production are either flammable or toxic or both. In addition to all the above, the starting material, the ergot alkaloids, is as a class quite toxic, and clean working conditions are necessary when working with it. Ergot alkaloid poisoning, known in the Middle Ages as Saint Antony's fire, can actually cause one's limbs to blacken, shrivel, and fall off! Any woman working with these compounds should also be aware that many of them are oxytoxics, that is, they cause uterine contractions, and are so used to induce labor, etc.

Working Conditions
There are certain procedures common to all syntheses of LSD which are based upon the sensitive nature of ergot compounds in general. Natural ergot alkaloids, lysergic acid, LSD, and the intermediate products associated with the various syntheses are all to a varying degree unstable. Even the most stable of these compounds will readily decompose under any but moderate conditions. Thus precautions must be taken against light, moisture, oxygen, and heat. Light of the ultraviolet region promotes addition of water at the delta-9-10 double bond to form the lumi-compounds. Thus reactions are best carried out in the light of red or yellow photographic darkroom bulbs, and storage should be in opaque or amber bottles. Most of the reactions involved in LSD synthesis require anhydrous conditions for good yield, and so protection must be made against moisture during the actual production. Furthermore, the final product must be thoroughly dried to prevent possible formation during storage of the lumi-compounds as mentioned above. Oxidizing agents, including atmospheric oxygen, will decompose ergot compounds. For this reason, all reactions are carried out in an atmosphere of an inert gas such as nitrogen. The danger of oxidation increases with temperature, so this precaution is of course most important with those reactions proceeding at elevated temperature. Various methods have been devised to prevent oxidation during storage. The most obvious is to store the LSD in nitrogen filled containers, but the excellent protection thus afforded is of course lost when the bottle or ampule is opened. Another method is to use an antioxidant; Brown and Smith recommend ascorbic acid. A more sophisticated method, recommended on the highest authority, is to make LSD maleate rather than the tartrate. Both maleic and tartaric acids are dicarboxylic, but the pK2 of maleic acid is too low to form a salt with LSD. Thus there is a free carboxyl group in LSD maleate, which group will serve to prevent oxidative decomposition. Excessive heat will cause decomposition of LSD and its precursors, and will also increase the possibility of racemization. Thus reactions at elevated temperature are not unnecessarily prolonged, nor are temperatures unnecessarily raised. All drying is done in vacuo in an inert atmosphere, and long term storage should be under refrigeration.

Sounds real simple hmmm and thats just like 10% of how its done

farmerlucky03 (Farmerlucky03)
Username: Farmerlucky03

Post Number: 279
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2003 - 01:01 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is alot harder then it sounds trust me:-) A FOAF of mine tried it.
"McElroy were one of the same. We're Skyhighatrists."
Formula 51

Pskovinsky (Pskov)
Advanced Member
Username: Pskov

Post Number: 98
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2003 - 01:14 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Doesn't sounds terribly simple or safe to me... :P

I'll stick to extractions, and conjuring simpler tryptamines.... after i take some chem courses of course.

Joseph (Frogs)

Post Number: 38
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2003 - 02:22 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

well thanks for all the info, but i guess nobody really knows where i should look to find this fungi, and i understand that you have no reason to trust in my ability to safley experiment with it, but then again you have no idea who i am or what i am capeable of, for all you know i could be one of the most ingenious chemists on the planet, either way it's my loss if i screw up and i can at least prove that much. I jsut have an intense intrest and i will stop at nothing to complete my goals, so there for i will find out what i am looking for and when i do i will keep ya's posted. thanks again

Post Number: 317
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2003 - 02:42 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Once again to all of you blessed folks around the globe that synthesize LSD, Thank you. I would give my right and left testicles for a few vials of pure L. Just enough to last me the rest of my life. (two trips a year at 10 hits each = 20) X 40 more years = 800 doses. Hrm. Guess I'll have to give up my kidneys too...

I_am_me (I_am_me)

Post Number: 142
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2003 - 02:47 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was talking about not that hard...for an organic chemist. I know you need to study chemistry to be able to understand how to make Lsd...but I think to an intelligent chemist its not "hard". At least thats what the only organic chemist I've know told me.

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 7864
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2003 - 02:53 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

but i guess nobody really knows where i should look to find this fungi, and i understand that you have no reason to trust in my ability to safley experiment with it, but then again you have no idea who i am or what i am capeable of, for all you know i could be one of the most ingenious chemists on the planet,
actually, the fact that you are here asking these questions is pretty much proof positive that you do not have the knowledge or skills needed to undertake this task.
else there'd be no need to ask, right ?

Erebus (Debremus)
Username: Debremus

Post Number: 616
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2003 - 02:54 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Of course I have no personal experience with this, but I am guessing with the proper protection (latex gloves) it is relatively safe to handle, in small quantities. It may be even more dangerous if one were to screw up the synthesis and ingest or give away a dose to someone. I would imagine gas spectrometry is the only safe way to know what you end up with for a final produce.

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 7865
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2003 - 03:21 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am guessing with the proper protection (latex gloves) it is relatively safe to handle, in small quantities.
not true at all.
better do some research and do not 'guess'.

Mod (Maliki)

Post Number: 31
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2003 - 11:59 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok the small articale I posted there tells you where to locate the fungus. If you were sencerie you would have spoted it pretty much any wheat field you will find it. Second the gangreen from the fungus is only a small portion of the danger involved.
If you truly want to make acid then start simple.
Do an extraction of woodrose seeds and convert the LSA to LSD . Its the saffer of the methods to use and some of the simpler methods.
Go to this link RHODIUM as for underground chemistry you couldnt ask for a better resource.

(Message edited by maliki on November 21, 2003)

Post Number: 322
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2003 - 02:20 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do woodrose seeds actually convert to pure LSD? The same as from ergot fungus?

Highflyer (Highflyer)
Username: Highflyer

Post Number: 658
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2003 - 02:24 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe it can be done. Look here.

Its not simple by any means however.
"I hold it to be the inalienable right of anybody to go to hell in his own way." - Robert Frost

Post Number: 323
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2003 - 02:34 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

sent you a pm highfly

I_am_me (I_am_me)

Post Number: 144
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2003 - 04:33 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interesting....

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 7887
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2003 - 06:02 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

archive material

Joseph (Frogs)

Post Number: 39
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2003 - 11:52 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

well your right im not an actual chemist, but it doesent mean couldnt be if i wanted to. but this info does help a lot. im gonna have to start checkin out some fields. but for now im jsut gonna stick with the woodrose seeds, they seem to work pretty good. gets me thinkin, a lot, i like to think of it as turning my mind into a computer and opening differnt folders and files that i coudlnt before and these folders contain some useful information and a lot of it. i mena i've never been so smart in my life and i love it. i simply love lsd

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 7908
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2003 - 12:18 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

glad we could help.
good luck on your voyage.

Pitbull (Pitbull)
Username: Pitbull

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, December 21, 2003 - 07:06 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hey joe millionare the idea with the woodrose seeds can be done but from what i know it has to be extracted with ether alcohol and wood alcohol?
but as far as the process i dont remember being as i read it years ago.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: