Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive Archive Botanicals Build Your Own Still Previous Next

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page
Topic Author Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

ridder (Ridder)
Username: Ridder

Post Number: 815
Posted on Tuesday, January 06, 2004 - 06:19 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not sure if i've ever posted this here or not (probably have) but we were talkin about it in the chat so i figured i'd post a link i've had for a while on how to build your own reflux still

http://ww2.green-trust.org:8383/still.pdf

Its a great how to :-). Here's another link with lots of information (such as legality, etc).

http://www.homedistiller.org/

I've never actually maid the still btw cuz other hobbies come first, but i figure this sprin or summer i'll do it :-).
Get Up, Stand Up!
Stand Up For Your Rights!
Get Up, Stand Up!
Don't Give Up the Fight!

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 10368
Posted on Tuesday, January 06, 2004 - 03:47 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

sweet, thx
i'll add that pdf to our download section

Mysterious Stranger (Supersonic_slug)
Username: Supersonic_slug

Post Number: 7
Posted on Wednesday, January 07, 2004 - 09:45 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A friend and I got into this a couple of months ago, and was astounded to find how safe and easy it is.

A friend built a reflux still, and produces almost pure alcohol from it, but it cost him a couple of hundred bucks, and requires supervision during the 5-7 hour distilation run.
I built a low temperature, plastic still (get plans here: http://www.amazingstill.com/ for under $50.00. Here's a pic: Upload
The low temperature means no pressure build up or flamable vapors are formed, and no supervision of the still is needed. Sort of the "Neglect Tek" of the distilling world.
I can produce a couple of gallons of fairly clean 80 proof (40% alcohol) vodka for about $15.00, one hours work, and 3 weeks of waiting (two weeks while the mash ferments, and a week to distill the mash in two batches). Essences (flavorings) are available to turn this vodka into whatever liquor you want. Unless you tell them, people can't tell it's moonshine. Definitely worth checking out!

ridder (Ridder)

Post Number: 835
Posted on Thursday, January 08, 2004 - 06:34 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

just remember the legal implications.. it's 100% legal to distil alcohol so long as its not for consumption (stupid but true law.. you can brew your own beer but your not allowed to purify that same mash to remove the toxins). So i just wanted to point that out.. I plan on using my still (when i build one, don't have a timeline for that) to do extractions and for fuel (but i'm not saying WHAT its gonna fuel ).
Get Up, Stand Up!
Get Up, Stand Up!
Don't Give Up the Fight!

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 10439
Posted on Thursday, January 08, 2004 - 01:38 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thx for the info/pic/link,
Mysterious Stranger

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 10440
Posted on Thursday, January 08, 2004 - 01:40 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

archive material

cedargrove (Cedargrove)
Username: Cedargrove

Post Number: 8
Posted on Thursday, January 08, 2004 - 02:23 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Old water distillers make great stills. The old-timers around here been using them for a long time. And they need little attention till the end of the stilling process. Wine is the liquid of choice around here. They call it "the grappa"
I'll try to post a pic tonight.
cedargrove

Post Number: 9
Posted on Thursday, January 08, 2004 - 05:02 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow! Never seen, or even know how to spell, mycilium and already I make the archives!

Think I'll have a little drink to celebrate...

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 10455
Posted on Thursday, January 08, 2004 - 05:09 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol
give ridder due credit as well,
the links added up.

ridder (Ridder)

Post Number: 840
Posted on Thursday, January 08, 2004 - 09:18 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thx hip

btw nice setup man.. a nice easy way but can you only distil to 80 proof? thats why i want to build teh reflux.. the only way you can REALLY purify it (well not the only way of course but the only practical way for the home brewer).
Get Up, Stand Up!
Get Up, Stand Up!
Don't Give Up the Fight!

cedargrove (Cedargrove)

Post Number: 10
Posted on Friday, January 09, 2004 - 10:56 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Upload
Here's what my old grandpappy uses. Its an old water distiller. Holds about 3qt of wine and produces about 1pt every hour. He says the best you can do is about 140-145 proof. Add some oak chips for color and flaver, you got grape jack or as the old-timers call it "the Grappa".
cedargrove

Soliver (Soliver)
Username: Soliver

Post Number: 492
Posted on Saturday, January 10, 2004 - 05:25 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, that's sweet...

Question:

I have 10 gallons of homebrew that tasts funny
because I used the wrong kind of yeast for the
beer I was brewing. It's drinkable, but you wouldn't drink
it unless you were desparate...

Could I use one of these to distill it into drinkable
liquor??

thx,

Sol

Soliver (Soliver)

Post Number: 493
Posted on Saturday, January 10, 2004 - 05:48 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Awesome website -
I'd suggest everyone go download the free e-book
in .pdf format. As an avid homebrewer, I have
everything I need to do this except the activated
charcoal. My first try will be with those 10 gal
of funny beer - can't hurt, as I was planning on
tossing it out anyway!

I wonder if there's any way to disconnect the
thermostat on one of my aquarium heaters?
Hmmm....

Great stuff. Good call with the archives, Hip.
This is something I've been wanting to try for
years but have always been to afraid / misinformed
to get into it.

:-)

Soliver

cedargrove (Cedargrove)

Post Number: 12
Posted on Sunday, January 11, 2004 - 01:23 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can distill it but I couldn't say what it would taste like.. Usually the better the wine you use the better product you end up with, so if the beer isnt any good I dont know the outcome. It might be worth a try. Let me know how it turns out.
cedargrove

Soliver (Soliver)

Post Number: 498
Posted on Sunday, January 11, 2004 - 01:31 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Will do -

Thanks for the info -
can't wait to get this going!

sol

Post Number: 16
Posted on Sunday, January 11, 2004 - 08:06 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The run starts at about 60% alcohol, and decreases from there. I mix it all down (or up) to 40% so that people are drinking what they're used to. It's easy to drink too much when your liquor is stronger than usual.
Nothing to stop you running your product through again to strengthen it further.

Regarding yeast: for this still you definitely want a turbo yeast designed specifically to convert sugar into clean alcohol. You can get them on the net from many home distilling sites.
The problem with the Amazing Still is that you can't take out the heads or the tails, as the mash never comes close to boiling. For this reason, you only want to run "clean" mash through it, or it might taste pretty bad.
Try to keep the temperature no higher than 45C, or quality will drop significantly. I can tell when mine gets too hot because the product is pinkish before it goes through the charcoal.

Make a fractionating still, though, and with a little practice, you can get 95%, virtually tasteless alcohol out of any mash, or aborted beer or wine run.

I should mention that the charcoal filter} (that's the vertical 2" PVC pipe in the picture is not inculded in the still plans. You are supposed to charcoal filter slowly. By filtering it as it emerges from the still, the product takes about 18 hours to make it through the tube.

Soliver (Soliver)

Post Number: 499
Posted on Sunday, January 11, 2004 - 05:29 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have many questions, if you have the time:

1) What are heads & tails?

2) Does anyone know offhand how hot 45C is in F?

3)Is the pink you saw some kind of mold / algae?

4) How much does it cost to fill up that tube with
activated charcoal?

5)How much does the "turbo yeast" cost online, who
has the best, cheapest, etc?
(I'm assuming Hip won't mind a link as this is non-
shroom related... Hip?)

"you only want to run "clean" mash through it, or it might taste pretty bad."

6) So do you think my off-beer would come out horrible?
I'll probably try it either way, just for shits and
giggles, but what do you think the end product will
be like?
I guess it'll just taste like stronger (distilled)
off-beer, but I wonder if the flavors will be better
or much worse for the distillation...

7) If you don't run it straight from the bucket through
the charcoal, will the built-up fluid in the bucket
start to mold, get pink, funky, etc?

8) Would you suggest adding the tube as you have done
so the distillates go directly through the charcoal and not accumulate?

9) Is it possible to use a fish tank heater whatsoever?
I have several of them and would like (of course) to keep costs down.
I have an entire fridge to put this into.

10) Can I use
the fish tank heater with the assumption that the unit will
be in the fridge all the time (is this even a factor?)

Umm... I think that's it for now... thanks in advance for you
patience with all my questions.
I've read the online guide, but it does not address
these particulars.

Thanks,

Soliver

Soliver (Soliver)

Post Number: 503
Posted on Monday, January 12, 2004 - 10:02 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

(Bump)

Sorry guys - gotta keep this up until my thirst for
knowledge has been slaked with the dregs of tax-
free liquor, uncontrolled by the state or my old
Uncle Sam

Soliver

Post Number: 17
Posted on Monday, January 12, 2004 - 10:20 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1) What are heads & tails?

Compounds other than alcohol that are produced in the fermenting process. In a traditional still, the "heads" are the stuff that evaporates out before the alcohol starts to flow, and the "tails" are what comes after the alcohol. These aren't dangerous, but taste and smell bad, as well as making your hangover worse.

2) Does anyone know offhand how hot 45C is in F?

About 110.

3)Is the pink you saw some kind of mold / algae?

Nah. The appearance of the mash didn't change at all, just the distilate. Some compound is coming through above 45 that doesn't come through below. With this hobby, no worries about contams!

4) How much does it cost to fill up that tube with
activated charcoal?

'Bout $12.00. The charcoal can be reactivated in the oven, and used many times.

5)How much does the "turbo yeast" cost online, who
has the best, cheapest, etc?
(I'm assuming Hip won't mind a link as this is non-
shroom related... Hip?)

"Bout 5 or 6 bucks for a pouch good to make 25 liters of mash. You also need 8KG of sugar. Do a google search of "turbo yeast" and you'll find lots of suppliers. The same vendors will likely sell you the activated charcoal you need, as well as different essences.

6) So do you think my off-beer would come out horrible?
Could be. Still drinkable, though, if you're not picky.

7) If you don't run it straight from the bucket through
the charcoal, will the built-up fluid in the bucket
start to mold, get pink, funky, etc?

The alcohol content is high enough that that won't be a problem. Any micro-organisms that fall in will soon be too drunk to f**k, so they won't be able to reproduce.

8) Would you suggest adding the tube as you have done
so the distillates go directly through the charcoal and not accumulate?

Well, you have to filter it slowly anyway, so it seems to me to make sense to do it this way. It's convenient, and I can't think of any reason not to.

9) Is it possible to use a fish tank heater whatsoever?
I have several of them and would like (of course) to keep costs down.
I have an entire fridge to put this into.

The heat source for the still in the picture is a 100 Watt fish tank heater. I disabled the thermometer, but wish i hadn't so I could more easily turn down the temp and avoid the "over 45 degrees"problem

10) Can I use
the fish tank heater with the assumption that the unit will
be in the fridge all the time (is this even a factor?)

You don't need to refrigerate it, but if you do, it would probably run faster, assuming your heat source could keep the temp up.

For more info, check out http://www.homedistiller.org/. It's based in New Zealand, where home distilation for personal use is legal. It's the bestt site I've found about this kind of stuff.

Soliver (Soliver)

Post Number: 513
Posted on Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 01:46 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey!

Thanks Slug!
I plan on getting this on
this weekend - thanks for the
extra info! You rock!

Sol

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 10770
Posted on Wednesday, January 14, 2004 - 03:35 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i don't mind links to other commercial sites as long as the intent is pure, i.e. being helpful.
spam of course is different and i know it when i see it,
so don't be too inhibited.

ridder (Ridder)

Post Number: 886
Posted on Wednesday, January 14, 2004 - 03:45 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

so don't be too inhibited.

* ridder takes off all his clothes and streaks thru mycotopia, laughing and singing

Get Up, Stand Up!
Get Up, Stand Up!
Don't Give Up the Fight!

Nuts & Flakes (Granola)
Username: Granola

Post Number: 34
Posted on Wednesday, January 14, 2004 - 06:15 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Solivar if you distill the beer and dont care for the taste you can always add a little flavor and sugar and call it a liquer

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: